Thursday, February 11, 2016

The Little Things in Life

Every person who has ever loved something most likely ended up hating it sooner or later. For instance the song, “Happy” by Pharrell Williams became the most overplayed song on the radio in 2015. It became such a nuisance that people shut it out by changing the station to yet another overplayed song.

Titus, in the novel can be seen as one of those annoyed fans. During the first few conversations with Violet in the novel, he complains about being on the moon and going to Mars. He says, “The Red Planet was a piece of shit” (Anderson 37).

Honestly, who would complain about the chance to go to the moon or even Mars?!

Unless it's like attending school…

My first and initial experience at college was overwhelming. It was exciting. It was full of completely new and memorable experiences that I didn’t would actually affect me so heavily. Above all, it was just simply fun, but—and yes there is but, it got boring quickly. It got to this point once I started to handle an actual workload and started to develop no time for myself. I started to spend less time on the fun things that I actually enjoyed and immediately jumped into the business part of my education. After my second semester, everything became serious. It then became gray rather than just black and white. Everything became so bland and uninteresting.

Through my personal experience in college and after reading how Titus felt towards traveling to the moon and Mars, I understand how Titus feels in some ways. He just doesn’t find interest in what are considered the “norms” even if it’s so out of range during my lifetime. Although there might be a thick line between this parallel, it holds the same concept.

Concept being that sometimes things really do get annoyingly boring after a while. On the other hand, I think it comes down to the little things. For instance, it’s spending the time with my friends when I do have time. It's the things like eating a well prepared meal after eating dining hall food. In the book, before Violet and Titus shared their first kiss, they were looking outside a window where there was like a courtyard terrarium. They stared into the stars and lost themselves within it. I thought that was a change for the better. His response to it all was just, “Whoa” (62).

It’s crazy that the little things amount to the greater thing in life.

Anderson, M. T. Feed. Cambridge, MA: Candlewick, 2002. Print.

No comments:

Post a Comment