Thursday, February 25, 2016

Seen 3:21 am


M.T. Anderson has made me aware of the fact that technology is now taking over our basic way of life. Not only our way of life as a society, but also the way we communicate in relationships. Throughout the novel "Feed", the author takes readers through an exaggerated journey that portrays the consumerist lifestyle we Americans live daily. However, he also focuses on relationships and the effect their "feeds" have on their ability to communicate efficiently. He also highlights this new type of broken English in the novel that seems to be normal to the characters. I will be incorporating this theme into my short story, a modern day conversation between two individuals through text messages. While reading, it will be beneficial to pay close attention to the narration of the main character. You will be able to see the process of miscommunication through their messages.

"hey Jonathan" 

"Heyy whats up its been a minute" I'm a little shocked that she remembers me. She's been so busy lately and It's been a couple weeks since I liked her picture on instagram.. I think it was that one picture from that Halloween party.  Yeah so.. for her to hit me up now is a little strange, but I like it. 
  
"Ive been alright.. busy with school and other bs" I don't know what to say to her. 

"Anyways I was thinkin' about u and can i ask you something?" Oh what is she going to ask me. I hate it when people ask me that specific question. Do me a huge favor and just ask it because it is less frightening to me when you ask something straight up. 'Can I ask you something' sounds like you're about to call me out on something I did wrong.. I don't know.. but for some reason I feel like she's going to ask me about that one night I accidentally told her I wanted to be with her.. I texted her things like 'I miss you so much.. Blah blah.. I love you and need you blah blah blah'.. But oh man, if she asks me that I'm going to tell her I was just drinking way too much.  

"Yeah sure whats up?" Keepin' it calm and collected. 
  
"Well u remember that one time you hmu (hit me up) around 3am telling me you missed me.. and you care about me. Is it true?" I knew it. I knew it! She always does this.. like can you get the hint. It was 3am and was obviously sauced (drunk). Couldn't you figure out I was not my usually self when I told you all of those things? Oh well I don't want to hurt her feelings so I'll just act like I don't remember a thing. 

"Wym? (what do you mean)" Keepin' it calm and collected. 

"Nvm (never mind)" ... What? She's just going to give up like that? THAT WAS EASY! Oh I definitely dodged that bullet. I mean she's cool, intelligent, well spoken, and surely a babe but I'm not the relationship kind of guy. I don't like to be tied down, you know? But the fact that she doesn't elaborate gives me a mixed feeling.. It's weird but now I want to know.. okay I'll ask.


"Oh wait.. do you mean that time i texted you around 3am? Well did i make you smile? :)" I don't really care if I made her smile.. I want her to think I do though cause then it'll be like way too easy to see what she wants to tell me.  
  
"It did, aww ur so sweet.. you are so unexpected but idk if i.." 

"forget it" Forget it? Okay obviously she likes me but does she think I'm not good enough for her or something? Like how am I suppose to feel? What does she mean by 'idk if I'? You don't know if u what? Like I'm suppose to be the one who isn't into you lol.. Why would you even text me in the first place if you wanted to tell me that.. Well truth is, I can see myself liking her but we tired it once and it was just a fail. It didn't work out the last time mostly because she didn’t feel our connection. I would love to start it up again, but she can't know that.. I'm going to act like I don't care. . . Even though I do.

"Well okay yeah idk either.. Lol whatevs.. I was sauced." Keepin' it calm and collected. 

"Really? I was going to say I didn’t know if you would be willing to give us a second chance.. But I guess you don’t want that.. Thanks anyways ASSHOLE."

-Christopher H

No comments:

Post a Comment