Thursday, February 25, 2016

Me, Myself, and Titus

    Titus. Let’s take a minute and talk about one of the most controversial characters in the novel Feed. How do you feel about Titus? To the average joe reading this novel, Titus comes off as a self centered person, who doesn't have a care in the world for anyone besides himself and Violet at some points. But besides that, Titus is the most relatable character in the novel that I can compare to myself and also the kids of this generation. The correlation between the feed and Titus reminds me of myself on a day to day basis. I know, I’m not the only one who feels this way, am I right? But that’s covered in a completely different blog post. Anyway, Titus is very relatable to myself and the kids that were born around the same year that I was. Today, myself and the kids that are very similar in age resemble Titus in more ways than one. Let’s take a look at how Titus is the most relatable character out of all the characters in the novel Feed.
    First off, the feed itself. This is the most relatable part of Titus and the novel that I can relate to personally. Growing up, cell phones were just starting to become popular with brand names such as Motorola, Nokia, and Lg. Most of you most likely remember your first cell phone distinctly. Mine was a standard Lg flip phone with no fancy touch screen and a million of customization settings. Cell phones have changed the way of human life forever. Growing up I was always told not to rely on my phone incase of a time when I am without it. And I have stuck to this motto for the most of my life, but it is still very eminent that my cell phone does in fact have an impact on my life just like the feed has an impact on Titus. The feed controls Titus. ”There's nothing but the feed telling you” (Anderson 5) The feed tells Titus everything. This reminds me of the internet.
“That's one of the great things about the feed--that you can be supersmart without ever working. Everyone is supersmart now. You can look things up automatic, like science and history, like if you want to know which battles of the Civil War George Washington fought in and shit.” () As you can see Titus has access to research anything even though he may not be correct. In which the internet may not be. Being able to search and find results about anything in the world is a great tool. I am not saying that my phone controls my every decision like Titus but it does have an effect on my life and the way I go about certain things. If I need to find an answer to a question that I do not know I can simply count on google and the safari app on my iphone to find it for me. The pop ups and m-chat that Titus experiences on a day to day basis is the same for myself in all honestly. I know if I am on the internet, there are always ads on the side of the page advertising my most recent google search or whatever product I was viewing at some other time. M-chat is very similar to texting or instant messaging which myself and most of you do on a daily basis. I know myself personally can relate to Titus on a technology level.
Also, you may have not picked up on the fact, that in the text, Titus is a brat. He comes from a very wealthy and high class family. Personally, I do not come from this type of family. But I do know many people who are treated like Titus within my age group and that is how I can relate. Titus gets everything he wants and does not have to work for anything that he owns. To me, this sounds very much like the society that we live in today. The youth for the most part get everything they want without having to do anything for it. Take a look the next time you are out in public and see how many young children have iphones, tablets, and computers. When I was a child I was lucky if I got to play with my legos. This generation of youth has made an impression for being lazy and spoiled which is exactly like Titus. That is how Titus and I can relate on a personal level.       

Joe F. Prompt 2.

Works Cited

Anderson, M. T. Feed. Cambridge, MA: Candlewick, 2002. Print.

No comments:

Post a Comment