Sunday, March 13, 2016

yeah I sort of CAN RELATE TO THE WEREWOLF

I remember this one time, I mean a very long time ago when I had to put myself way out of my comfort zone. I was facing a hunger games especially created for me within my own mind. Will I be ostracized from the rest of my peers if I do not perform well enough? Do I even want to do this? Why does this have to be so challenging, and will I get the part? I was auditioning for my 6th grade choir graduation solo. The song my choir had been rehearsing for the last couple months was called, "The Climb" by Miley Cyrus. Even though the song was originally meant for a female vocalist, I still wanted to be the one to take center stage. I was excited to be graduating, and I wanted to be the voice that lead my class out of elementary school and into a whole new world called middle school. Right before it was my turn to audition I had thoughts in my head similar to those of Katniss Everdeen from the novel "The Hunger Games: Catching Fire."  

Image result for lazy in bed
NOO I DON'T WANT TO GET UP, MOM!
"I can’t fight the sun. I can only watch helplessly as it drags me into a day that I’ve been dreading for months" (Collins 3). Just like Katniss I was going to face a challenge in my life where I didn’t know how prepared I was. I wanted my audition time to be delayed a day longer, and I wanted time to drag its feet. But I was forced to take on the inevitable, which is how life works. Just like Mrs.Everdeen, I had to realize my situation, take on the responsibility, and change my attitude to a more confident one. "Life in District 12 isn’t really so different from life in the arena.  At some point, you have to stop running and turn around and face whoever wants you dead" (Collins 118). I auditioned and I nailed it. My voice paved the way to a new chapter in all of my peer's lives. 

Realizing that the rebellion was necessary, Katniss's change of attitude helped her cope with the responsibilities she was facing. This pivotal moment did not only help the novel move along at a steadier pace, but it also helped me grow a new sense of admiration and respect for the protagonist. I related to her fear of the unknown before, but I then learned to admire her coming to self. I believe the author had intentionally made the protagonist evolve in the novel, to hopefully set an example for readers who struggle to overcome their fears. 

However, Katniss is not the only character that deserves the credit for the development of her heroic mentality and actions. "Let’s show a little district pride for a change, Miss Everdeen. Hm?" (Collins 11). That quote was spoken by Darius, which was one of Katniss's many team members. Throughout the novel, we see that Katniss was not alone, and had a strong support system by her side. Peeta, Effie, Cinna, Haymitch and many more were there to assist the protagonist through difficult situations. Mrs.Everdeen may have started the revolution when she sabotaged the prior hunger games, but she did not carry all the weight by herself. While reading the novel, there is a process and development period where the reader can see a hesitant, afraid, mostly ordinary young women become a leader and a fighter.  

Ultimately, I believe Suzanne Collins, the author of the "Hunger Games" series, created Katniss Everdeen for many purposes. Although I have not finished the novel or series, a few of those motives have become clear to me. Rebellion would be one. Suzanne wants readers to question their surroundings. Pinpoint the things in their lives that seem fishy or need to be changed, and make a change. She also wants readers to take on a new attitude towards life. Following the bravery and riskiness of Katniss Everdeen could promote a happier lifestyle for those readers who are too afraid to defy the norms of society. I will definitely try to take away as many positive traits as possible from Mrs.Everdeen as well...

WORK CITED 
Collins, Suzanna. Catching Fire. New York: Scholastic Inc.,2009. Print.

-Chris H


No comments:

Post a Comment