Sunday, March 13, 2016

Stories of Misfortunes

Throughout Catching Fire, Katniss encountered many misfortunes that made her who she is through the games. The reason why I wanted to write a short story using the way the Suzanne Collins delivered her book is because at this time, a lot of tension is being built up one after another. I feel that the author chooses this method to have the reader worked up so that everything gets resolved at its own pace and creates an end game that will result in contentment for the reader. I want to use that specific mechanic in my short story because in every storyline, there is rising action leading to the climax and then to its falling action. In this case, there is a lot of rising action. For instance, the build up of President Snow suspicion on Katniss and Peeta’s relationship leading them into a supposed marriage and announcement of a future pregnancy during the interviews. The relationship between Katniss and Gale and the ever evolving relationship between Katniss and Peeta through their triumph of the new games of the Quarter Quell. Another instance is of the future complications including the symbolism behind Katniss’s dress and the relativity to the symbol of resistance and revolt, the mocking jay. Katniss is also faced with the decision of running away or staying and resisting the Capitol and saving those she cares about including herself. In my short story, I will create a character who is dealt with continuous problems. He will be faced with many decisions that could either benefit his situation or complicate things even more.
           
I woke up roughly around 2 pm with the decision to either get up and deal with my ever so stressful day or to stay in bed and hideaway until I realize that I needed food. Suddenly, I became extremely hungry. So I got out of bed and proceeded to the kitchen. At that moment, I was filled with regret because I decided to delay the trip to the grocery store the other day so I could watch some movie in which I can’t remember.
I dreaded getting ready and headed out. I was dressed in my white button up, my hair was set back out of my face, and I wore my most comfortable shoes for this long day in the city. In my head I kept a visual checklist of how my day would go from this point on. As I stepped off my porch, I heard her yell out my name. It was Angela.

“Benny, are you excited for today?” she yelled.
“Yeah! I can’t wait--- wish me luck!” I called back with lies between each word.

I walked out into the city trying to find the closest coffee shop. I needed an energy booster. I found one about 6 blocks away because each place I passed by had a line that stuck out the shop. When it came to my order, I got something completely different than what I ordered. I tried to make it work because one, I was starving for something to consume and two, it was a long walk to get here. I caught a glimpse at my watch and realized that I was late. I got myself together and ran.

I told myself every step of that awful sprint that it wasn’t my day. I just thought about every possible negative outcome to this presentation that could possibly happen. Suddenly, my stomach dropped. I forgot my presentation boards. They were everything to this project. How could I forget them? I didn’t have time for this and I continue to run my unfit self to this building that felt more than miles away.
I arrived without a breath and  I saw her again. Angela was at the receptionist desk and she smiled at me almost so instantly. Oh how I loved that smile, but this wasn’t the time or place to think about all that because I was at war. I was at a war with myself to either walk into the room and tell them what they want to hear so I can get this new position or to turn around and again--- hideaway.

“Is everything okay?”
“Yeah, I’m just nervous. My whole life depends on this and I can’t wrap my head around it.”
“Just breathe,” she said with reassurance.

I somehow mustered the energy and the will to revolt against my beliefs of myself. I went into that conference room and spoke highly of myself and gave the best presentation of my life. At my first breath after my last word, I could see that most the faces in the room were impressed. I finished and walked out after shaking everyone’s hand on the way out.


I didn’t know what to expect after my day of misfortunes. I was overwhelmed and surprised that it was already the end of the day. I know I wouldn’t know until the next day about my overall performance and if I got that promotion, but I felt confident.

Sonthavy Kem 
Prompt 1 

No comments:

Post a Comment