Saturday, March 26, 2016

Ordinary Katniss Everdeen or Rebellion Leader MockingJay?

Throughout Catching Fire my mind was thrown into a billion directions. For the most part I understood what was going on, but also felt like there was more to the novel. For example, I really think Katniss has become crazy. Honestly who wouldn’t if you were in her situation? You get picked from each district then just get thrown into some map created by the Capitol to run around until someone else kills you! Count me out bro, I would try anyway I could to not be apart of the games. I feel like before the first games, Katniss was a sweet girl, good to her family, a people person. Now, she’s built to be mean, to not want to take crap from the all mighty Captiol. She really is quite ballsy if you ask me. I feel like she represents her cause very strongly throughout the text. You can tell that she’s never enjoyed watching or being in the games, rebel at first sight!

Katniss really started to act crazy again just around the time of the quarter quell. They decide to pick past victors to kill each other in the games. Like you’re messing with everyone’s minds now! Makes a lot a sense that the Capitol would do this though. Katniss is the key to all the rebellions and uprisings throughout the districts. If she somehow dies in these games it will be over. Just what they need. At this point in the novel Katniss really does not know that she is the ring leader for this justice against the Capitol. 

To begin this quarter quell Katniss really doesn't understand her power as of yet. She is the mighty holder of the MockingJay. It is the symbol of rebellion that everyone follows, not directly, but quietly from each of the districts. This was her token from the first games. Going in these games Katniss does not want any allies except Peeta. She wants to protect him and save his life at all costs. She can’t stand the games and before they get put in the game she begins to rebel. This is one of the only instances  in the novel where she actually comes up with he own ideas and does not rely on other people or Peeta. I cannot see Katniss as a leader of such a district wide rebellion. 

 While being at the skills contest for the game makers Katniss wants to rebel. “I go over to knot tying station and get a length of rope. I’ve come up a respectable noose. I drag one of the target dummies out into the middle of the room, using some chinning bars, hang it so it dangles by the neck.” (236) “The flesh colored fabric of the dummy skin makes a good, absorbent canvas. Then I step away quickly to watch  the reaction on the game makers faces as they read the name on the dummy SENECA CRANE” (237). Something that only the game makers, Captiol, and Katniss know about. This makes the crowd the game-makers quite. Katniss has a kink in their armor. 

 Cinna, her costume and make up designer has come to ready her just before the games. He says. “Oh, I almost forgot this. “He takes my gold MockingJay pin from my pocket and fixes to my jumpsuit” (262). During the games things are harsh, many tributes die on the first day and it is a blood bath that has been much quicker than any other games they’ve seen in the past. Katniss is the only one that really shows rebellion towards these games as well as Peeta, little does she know that some of the others are going along with their ideas as well. 

Finnick wanted to be partners/allies with Katniss from the get go, but Katniss being so independent and focused only on Peeta has other plans. She believed this was her job no matter what. “Pushes me out of the way. “Let me.”  Then he pinches Peeta’s nostrils shut.” For surely he intends to make certain that Peeta’s death, too keep any hope of life from returning to him.” Finnick begins to put the spot over Peeta’s heart with the heels of his hands (280). Even after Finnick saved Peeta’s life at the force field, she still had plans of trying to kill him. “All I wanted was to keep Peeta alive, and I couldn’t and Finnick could, I should be nothing but grateful.” “I will never stop owing Finnick Odiair Ever.” “Now I could kill him in his sleep?”(282).  During this time this event Katniss needs to reevaluate things in her life and needs to stop worrying about the task of killing Finnick. “I noticed a gleam of gold on Peeta’s chest.” “My MockingJay has been engraved on it. Is this token I ask.” “Yes. Do you mind that I used you're MockingJay? I wanted us to match he says” (283). This piece of the novel has so much meaning. I believe that there is something more than love between one another but equal justice and for a different life with the MockingJay on him. 

Towards the end of the novel I begin to see that she is the one and only MockingJay, she is uniqued. The rest of the past victors have set up plans to save Katniss and bring her home anyway they can. Katniss can be a hot head all she wants, but in the end she needs to learn to trust the people around her, something that was impossible to do at the last hunger games she partook in, except for Peeta. I believe that Katniss has strong ideas, one that she doesn't even know about yet but will soon find out. She is different then all the others, she is the MockingJay.

Chris S.
Character Analysis 

Collins, Suzanne, and Elizabeth B. Parisi. Catching Fire. Print.



No comments:

Post a Comment